The advice of a housing expert from a HUD-approved housing counseling agency can be invaluable during the foreclosure prevention process, with so many financial terms to remember and a process that can be complicated.
Get Help Today
You don't have to go it alone. Experts from HUD-approved housing counseling agencies work in your best interest at no cost to you:
- For more information about available programs and guidance on your options, call
888-995-HOPE™ (4673). Call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year for help in more than 170 languages.
- For foreclosure prevention counseling, contact a
HUD-approved housing counseling agency in a city near you.
Benefits of Using a Housing Counselor
- There is no charge to work with a HUD-approved counseling agency.
- A housing counselor can provide a range of services, including:
- Identifying mortgage assistance options that are suitable for your situation.
- Helping you create a budget that supports your mortgage and other expenses.
- Providing information about local resources that may also be helpful to you.
- Explaining required documents and, in many cases, submitting those documents to your mortgage company on your behalf.
Studies suggest that homeowners who work with housing counselors like these are more successful and have better long-term outcomes.
What to Expect from a Housing Counselor
If you decide to work with a housing expert at a HUD-approved housing counseling agency, you can expect that they will work as your advisor and advocate. As your advisor, your counselor needs as much information about your situation as you can provide to know which options you should pursue. As your advocate, working with your mortgage company on your behalf, your counselor needs documentation to champion your cause. Your counselor will need documented information about your loan, your financial situation and your prospective income going forward. The more documentation you can provide, the more thorough your counselor can be in finding the best solution for your situation.
- Expect to spend time gathering the documents your housing counselor and/or mortgage company will need to evaluate your situation.
- Expect your mortgage company to work with you if you stay in frequent contact with them.
- Expect your housing counselor to be an advocate and advisor for you every step of the way.
- Expect to get real help from real people, 24/7, at
Prepare for Your Call